I am an Associate Professor of History at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, where I teach classes on the US Civil War, Antebellum America, African American History, Historical Methods, and general US History. My research focuses on the Civil War — my first book, Confederate Slave Impressment in the Upper South, was published in 2013. I also coordinate an event series called Perspectives on the Civil War Era, typically hosting one guest speaker each year, plus other programs like concerts and presentations featuring students and faculty.
When I’m not busy in the History Department, I like to head over to the Music Department to sing in the choir and sometimes play recorder with the Early Musick Ensemble. I also sing, play handbells, and direct the children’s music program at my church.
- Ph.D. in United States History, University of Virginia, 2008
- M.A. in United States History, University of Virginia, 2003
- B.A. with Honors in History, Pennsylvania State University, 2001
- Associate Professor of History, UNC Pembroke, 2014-
- Assistant Professor of History, UNC Pembroke, 2008-2014
- Instructor, University of Virginia, 2007-2008
- Instructor, Longwood University, 2006-2007
- Virginia Center for Digital History, 2003-2007
- Instructional Staff (various positions), Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth Summer Programs, 2000-2006
- Confederate Slave Impressment in the Upper South. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2013.
- “Wartime Slavery.” In A Companion to the U.S. Civil War, ed. Aaron Sheehan-Dean. Hoboken: Wiley Blackwell, 2014.
- “‘The Question of Bread is a Very Serious One’: Virginia’s Wartime Economy.” In Virginia at War: 1865, ed. James I. Robertson and William C. Davis. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2011.
- “The Slave Market in Civil War Virginia.” In Crucible of the Civil War: Virginia from Secession to Commemoration, ed. Edward L. Ayers, Gary W. Gallagher, and Andrew J. Torget. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2006.
- Review of Confederate Slave Impressment in the Civil War Book Review, Spring 2014
- UNC Press Blog, December 2013
- UNC Press Civil War 150 Blog, October 2013
- Ta-Nehisi Coates, The Atlantic, April 2011
- Kevin Levin, Civil War Memory, April 2011
- Pine Needle (UNCP student newspaper) coverage of event I coordinated, March 2011